Number of Stories: 2
Width (bays): 3
Foundation Material: Brick
Depth (rooms): 3
Structural System: Frame
Wall Cladding Material: vinyl
Roof Shape: Gable
Roof Material: asphalt shingle
Decorative Details/Unique Features:
There is a brick full width porch supported by Scamozzian Ionic columns. The roof of porch is a shed roof mirroring the side gable roof of the house. The sides of the porch, in the triangle created under the angle of the shed roof the clapboard siding of the house continues to the front corner posts of the porch. The front corners of the porch are square shaped pillars covered in vinyl siding. The facade of the house is symmetrical.
Evidence of Integrity Location/Materials:
The siding, shingles and windows of the house are not original. No evidence suggests that the building was moved.
Additions/Alternations to Primary Building:
The siding was replaced in with vinyl. A building permit from 1955 indicates that asphalt roofing was applied to the house for the cost of $300.
Condition of Primary Building: Good
Observable Threats: none
Compatibility with Adjacent Land Uses:
It is a residence on a block of all residences. It has the same set back as the other houses on the block and a full front porch like these houses. It is slightly differ in style because it has gable roof unlike the houses to the left and there is not dormer unlike the houses to the right. Additionally the foundation is brick while most of the surrounding houses have concrete foundations. Despite the differences the similar size and massing make it compatible with the neighborhood.
Potential NR Eligibility: Contributing
Evidence of Construction Date:
In the 1931 Land Book Charles and Amazeline Hundley were taxed for both land and a building at lot 63 on Mercer Street. In the remarks column of that entry there is a not that says, "from LW Jett." Since there was no tax on a building on previous years this comment likely refers to the building of the house, meaning it was build during Jett's ownership of the lot. Lloyd Jett was the previous owner and he possessed the house from, March 3, 1030 to October 31, 1930. Therefore the building was built in 1930.